Battleborne
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bases disappearing

4 posters

Go down

Bases disappearing Empty Bases disappearing

Post by Papahyooie Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:23 am

As everyone knows by now, there was a bug this weekend that caused some bases to be deleted. If anyone cares to know, this looks like it was caused by someone manipulating a base flag right around the server restart, resulting in a sort of half-write. This caused that base to be deleted when the server came back up, which caused the row ID's to be out of sync. (1,2,3,5,6, etc) So when a new base was constructed, it didn't increment the ID properly. This caused the next base in line to be overwritten, and the new base to be deleted upon restart. This cascaded down, resulting in multiple bases being deleted, as more base were constructed to replace the deleted one, that deleted another, etc etc.

So, the moral of the story is, I cannot stress enough how important it is to log out at the 5 minute mark when the server says "Log out now!" Anything after that point, if manipulated, can cause problems like this.

I can do some database magic to try to be sure the ID's increment correctly, but it will not guarantee that this does not happen again. I'm going to look into solutions to automatically kick players during the server restart as well, to prevent it. Exile has a built-in system for this, but it relies on the built-in server restart functionality, which simply doesn't work well.

So, try to remember to log out at the 5 minute mark. Anything you touch after that risks messing up the database.

Thanks guys!
Papahyooie
Papahyooie
Admin

http://battleborne.betaboard.net

Back to top Go down

Bases disappearing Empty Re: Bases disappearing

Post by Marrow375 Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:30 pm

Cool thanks for letting us know how it happened. Now Food won't think one of us deleted his base on purpose. Smile j/k Food.

Marrow375
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by FooodComa Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:25 pm

Thanks for sorting this out guys

FooodComa
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by hensley Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:12 pm

I'd have your eye on Marrow, Food Smile